Advantages of EMR for the Medical Practice
From the viewpoint of doctors and health practitioners there are numerous other advantages of implementing electronic medical records:
- The ability to quickly transfer patient data from one department to the next is a huge asset
- The space saving benefit of a digital records environment
- The ability to ultimately increase the number of patients served per day for enhanced patient workflow and increased productivity
- Improved results management and patient care with a reduction in errors within your medical practice
- Reduced operational costs such as transcription services and overtime labor expenses
- Customizable and scalable electronic medical records that can grow with your practice
- Advanced e-Prescribing and clinical documentation capabilities
- Plus an improved bottom line of the healthcare practice, enhanced through the ability to more accurately and efficiently process patient billing
Electronic Medical Records and Patient Safety
The mechanisms of safety for electronic medical records in terms of both patient diagnosis and the security of their health records is one of the main elements that electronic medical records companies design into their software systems.
The reduction of medical errors represents a benefit to both patient and doctor.
An electronic medical health records arena of information sharing within a medical practice naturally reduces unwanted hand transcribed errors. The problem of lost or misplaced patient files is also eliminated.
These advantages of EMR help produce a marked increase in the health related safety of patients and patient welfare.
In addition, electronic medical records and patient care are synonymous in that such systems easily enable constraints to be placed upon end users’ access to particular patient information.
This personal security aspect is also important to meeting a patient’s privacy concerns.
Minimal Disadvantages of Electronic Medical Records
Any disadvantages of electronic medical records lay not in the concept or actual physical medium of retaining records in a computerized system, but only in the natural challenges of investment, preparation and training.
Electronic medical records will soon be a required technology so to offset the costs we encourage you to take advantage of the EMR Stimulus Incentives. Take advantage of your eligibility for Stimulus incentive funds and avoid delay and the risk of penalty.
Each medical practice must evaluate its capabilities in terms of the initial monetary investment required to implement an EMR System.
Transition plans from the old paper records system to the new electronic medical records system need to be implemented to help medical staff feel as comfortable with the switch as possible.
The computer skills of present medical staff may present an obstacle to be overcome through appropriate EMR Training to bring everyone up to speed with current EMR technology.
Benefits of Electronic Medical Records Systems
Electronic medical records systems represent all the various aspects within a medical practice that work as a whole to form a functioning system that more effectively cares for patients and benefits the medical practice.
Although the software platform is a major and vital leg of any electronic medical records system, there are other important pieces.
The many components of a well-established electronic medical records system include the software, coordination procedures between departments for the transfer and reception of information, organizational rules within the office for personnel use and established plans for continuing education and training by medical staff.